No doubt, Enugu’s fiscal situation is dire. We are indebted to the tune of N74bn in domestic debt and $124m in foreign debt (SBM Intelligence, 2022). My administration will start with the simple things:
1. We will cut the cost of governance and reallocate monies allotted to executive offices for personal comfort towards projects that serve the interest of the people.
2. Secondly, we will block the leakages in the government. In terms of IGR, Enugu State loses over 1000% of the monies collected as IGR. We will ensure transparency in the mobilisation of IGR and that it is used for the people.
3. Another source of funding is through public-private partnerships. We will put the right policies and regulatory environment in place, providing the right incentives and infrastructural development for investors to feel comfortable. If a business needs land to set up a manufacturing concern which I know will provide jobs for our teeming population, why will I or someone in my government ask for kickbacks before letting them come in? This is against everything I stand for and it will not happen under my government as it currently does now. We will aggressively market Enugu to the world as an investment-friendly destination.
4. There are significant funding opportunities with bilateral agencies such as the Japanese International Cooperation Agency, the French Development Agency, UK Department for International Development, the United States Agency for International Development and the World Bank who only need a government with the political will and integrity to channel the funds towards the welfare and progress with the people. I have significant experience working with these bilateral agencies both from my time as the State’s Coordinator and as a Minister of the Federal Republic. I come prepared.
5. These are a few first steps we will take towards funding projects that will take Enugu out of the situation we have found ourselves in and towards progress and development. However, I and my team do not have a monopoly of knowledge and gladly welcome any ideas you may have concerning the issue of funding or any other matter towards the collective progress of Enugu State.